Approved June 2014
In discharging its functions the Committee shall:
- Co-ordinate the work of the Council and its committees by:
- Directing the flow of Council business including, where appropriate, referring matters to Council committees;
- Maintaining oversight of the work of Council committees;
- Scheduling the agenda of the Council and approving all matters going before the Council.
- Advise and make recommendations to the Council on all matters pertaining to:
- The organization of the Council and its committees;
- the organization and function of academic governance in the Faculty.
- Authorize altering the order of business for any meeting of the Council, provided that the order to be followed is shown on the Notice of Meeting;
- Be responsible for the nomination and elections of officers of the Council, members of Council committees, and Faculty representatives on Senate and Senate Committees; regulate the election of students, contract faculty members and CUPE Unit 1 Teaching Assistants, and Professional and Managerial Staff (CPMs) and members of the Faculty support staff (YUSA) to the Council; delegate the nomination and elections to a sub-committee and/or Council staff;
- Periodically review the Rules and Procedures and governance structure of the Council or its committee system, and recommend amendments to the above for the approval of the Council;
- In the case of the absence or illness of the Chair and the Vice-Chair, appoint one of the members of the Council to act as Chair pro tempore and for such period the member so appointed shall act as, and have all the powers of, the Chair;
- Serve as a summer authority following Senate practice, and act on behalf of the Council from the last meeting of the Council in the spring, to the first meeting of the Council in the fall;
- Establish special committees to deal with matters of general concern that do not fall within the accepted area of jurisdiction of an existing committee, with the approval of the Council; perform oversight and report to the Council on the creation of ad hoc sub-committees by Council committees. When such special or ad-hoc committees are formed regularly, consider recommending that they be approved as committees of the Council or sub-committees of a committee of Council;
- Negotiate with the President the procedures for Decanal searches in the Faculty.
Chair of Faculty Council (who shall Chair the meetings) for a one-year term
Vice-Chair of Council
Six faculty members elected at-large for a three-year term
Three students appointed by the Student Council of the Liberal Arts & Professional Studies on an annual basis
Ex-officio (non-voting) members
Dean or dean’s designate
Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies representative on the Executive Committee of Senate,
Secretary of Council or designate
Faculty members will be elected at-large for a three-year rolling cycle. Members elected at-large will not be from the same School/Department. Each year, one-third of the membership turns over and will be replaced on a rotational basis by other faculty members from different Schools/Departments who are not already represented on the Committee. At all times there shall be at least one member from each of the professional, humanities, and social sciences Departments/Schools.
At least half of the voting members of the Committee, the majority of whom are full-time faculty members, constitutes a quorum.
Chair: Andrea McKenzie, Writing Department
Vice-Chair: Nelson Waweru, School of Administrative Studies
Antonio Ricci, Department of Humanities
Adriano Solis, School of Administrative Studies
Antonella Valeo, Department of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics
Zulfikar Hirji, Department of Anthropology
Ida Ferrara, Department of Economics
Merle Jacobs, Department of Equity Studies
Representatives from SCOLAPS:
Muhammad Shahmir Masood
Ex-Officio Members (non-voting):
JJ. McMurtry, Dean, LA&PS
Richard Wellen, LA&PS representative on the Executive Committee of Senate
Lisa Lutwak, Secretary of Council
The Executive Committee will normally meet the last Wednesday of each month from 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. For the Faculty Council and Standing Committees Scheduling Document, please click here.
For the academic year 2021-2022, the Executive Committee will meet the last Wednesday of each month from 10:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
2020/2021 Committee Meeting Dates
|August 26, 2020|
|September 30, 2020|
|October 28, 2020|
|November 25, 2020|
|**Rescheduled** December 21, 2020|
|January 27, 2021|
|February 24, 2021|
|March 24, 2021|
|April 28, 2021|
|May 26, 2021|
|June 30, 2021|