Examines, formulates, and reviews long-term and short-term academic planning as well as comprehensive policies for the Faculty, including degree and non-degree credit studies.
In discharging its functions the Committee shall:
- In tandem with the Dean and in close consultation with Departments/Schools & Colleges, oversee the development of the Faculty Academic Plan, oversee coordination/implementation of the plan, and report to the Council on activities.
- Make recommendations to the Council on the feasibility of new Departments/Schools, Programs, Research Centres;
- Make recommendations to the Council on reviews of existing Departments/Schools, Programs, Research Centres;
- Direct advice on the employment of resources within the Faculty to the Dean;
- Make recommendations to the Dean on budgetary matters that affect academic programs;
- Advise the Dean on evening education, part-time and full-time studies, graduate education, and Faculty fundraising;
- Advise the Dean on the interplay of academic and budget issues in the development of the Integrated Resource Plan;
- Set policy with respect to the institutional development in areas of non-degree programming and the relationship between degree and non-degree studies
- Through the Non-Degree Studies Sub-Committee, receive proposals for non-degree studies new programs and/or certificates;
- Advise the Dean on matters related to the allocation of appointments of faculty members to the tenure stream (but not individual appointees) each year, preferably within the context of comprehensive budget proposals and in light of the Faculty Academic Plan and developmental plans of the various Schools/Departments within the Faculty;
- Access all relevant information through the Office of the Dean and report to the Council regularly on all advice given to the Dean.
Seven faculty members elected at-large for a three-year term
Two students appointed by the Student Council of the Liberal Arts & Professional Studies on an annual basis
Ex-officio (non-voting) members
Dean or dean’s designate
Faculty of Liberal Arts & Professional Studies Representative on the Academic Policy, Planning and Research Committee of Senate
Chair of Faculty Council or designate
Staff Representative from the Strategic Planning Unit
Secretary of Council or designate
Faculty members will be elected at-large for a three-year rolling cycle. Members elected at-large will not be from the same Department/School. Each year, one-third of the membership turns over and will be replaced on a rotational basis by other faculty members from Departments/Schools who are not already represented on the Committee. At all times there shall be at least one member from each of the professional, humanities, and social sciences Departments/Schools
The Chair of the Committee is selected by the voting members of the Committee for a two-year term. At least half of the voting members of the Committee, the majority of whom are full-time faculty members, constitutes a quorum.
David Mutimer, Department of Politics
Joanne Magee, School of Administrative Studies
Joseph Keeping, Department of Humanities
Paul Baxter, Department of Social Science
Maria Figueredo, Department of Languages, Literatures and Linguistics
Minoo Derayeh, Department of Equity Studies
Representatives from SCOLAPS:
Ex-Officio Members (non-voting):
Associate Dean, Programs
Joanne Magee, LA&PS Representative on the Academic Policy, Planning & Research Committee of Senate
Chair of Faculty Council
Staff Representative from the Academic Planning Unit
Anne Stebbins, Secretary of Council
2018/2019 Committee Meeting Dates
|DATE||AGENDA (PDF)||ADDITIONAL DOCUMENTS|
|September 19, 2018|
|October 17, 2018|
|November 21, 2018|
|December 12, 2018*|
|January 16, 2019|
|February 13, 2019**|
|March 20, 2019|
|April 17, 2019|
|May 15, 2019|
|June 19, 2019|
*The December meeting will take place on the second Wednesday due to the Winter Holiday
**The February meeting will take place on the second Wednesday due to the Winter Reading Week
LA&PS Strategic Plan and Implementation Scrolls
June 9, 2011 - A series of LA&PS Implementation Scrolls will be presented to Faculty Council. The documents have been drawn up in consultation with the Dean's working group on strategic planning, and overseen by the Academic Policy and Planning Committee of Council.
June 24, 2010 - After many months of collegial discussion, development and community consultation, the LA&PS Strategic Plan, 2010-2020: Making Choices for Our Future, was overwhelmingly approved during a special session of Faculty Council.
On January 21, 2010, the LA&PS Faculty Council overwhelmingly approved the motion to adopt the the Faculty's Strategic Planning Framework.
Amended LA&PS Strategic Planning Framework (PDF) (showing colour coded amendments)